Tuesday, October 4, 2011

STAY IN CHARACTER


I recently had a conversation with a childhood friend about her recent news that she is pregnant. I was taken by surprise because just a few weeks before she told me that she had a tough time keeping men or men keeping her. She was saying that she was in a relationship with a guy that seemed like the right guy but like so many others turned out to be a jerk. She spoke as a person that was single and looking for a man.

Hence, when I found out she was pregnant I had to ask what was the deal? She confirmed that she was pregnant and then continued on to tell me that the father has been a real jerk about it. Like so many other pregnant single women I know, she went on to dog the guy out. Knowing this woman to be a rather intelligent and prudent person I had to ask how she ended up being pregnant by such a person? She gave me one of the best and most clear answers I've ever heard.

My friend stated that she was out of CHARACTER. She said that she did everything different in this relationship than she had done in the past including moving quickly and carefree. She admitted that what she did wasn't right and that she had made peace with God. I was impressed by her candidness and honesty. So many women I know get offended when I press them about their role in the selection of bed mates and co-parents. She didn't. I could tell she had done some self-reflection and wasn't afraid of the truth.

My friend's response caused me to reflect. What a nugget of truth and instruction she had given me. STAY IN CHARACTER. It's when we step out of character that things go wrong. I have looked at myself and seen that when I do things that aren't who I am, I end up regretting my actions, hoping my behavior doesn't cause some seismic destruction, and asking myself how could I have done such a thing? I've done some foolish things over the past year. Thankfully, as far as I can tell, none of them have been particularly destructive (though they had the power to do so).

Stay in character. It's easy. It's better. It's who you are. Mistakes will be made no matter what you do in life. It is a part of our fallen human nature. At least you can look back and know that you were you when you made those mistakes. You can learn from and make adjustments at your core. Doing things out of character can often lead us into situations that forever altar our lives. Play the role you were meant to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment