Wednesday, June 1, 2011

BE GOOD, BE QUIET, OR BE HONEST

I have a passionate and distinct hatred for liars. Dishonesty is detestable to me. It is cowardly and holds no honor. It shows weakness and a lack of character. Lying does nothing to promote love, peace, harmony, or satisfaction in any relationship. There is only one thing I hate more than a liar......a bad liar.

I have rarely lied during the course of my life. If I have done so it was to avoid deeply harming someones feelings or for the protection of the innocent. Since I hate lying I do my best to find diplomatic ways of getting the point across in touchy situations. Despite my distaste for lying I do hold one rule when it comes to the practice-BE GOOD.

If you're going to be a liar have some skill with it. There are a handful of folks that are just awful liars that I have had the unfortunate opportunity of crossing paths with. They are folks that lie so much they tell lies about their lies that clearly show they were lying. These aren't lies told days, weeks, or months apart. These are lies that are sometimes told moments apart. Sometimes the affect (physical expression or mood) doesn't match up with the words coming out of the mouth.

Such actions indicate that you are either a lazy person that isn't willing to put in the brain power needed to keep lies straight. Or, you care so little about others that you aren't willing to put forth the effort to keep your lies straight. Or.....you are lying to yourself and therefore it doesn't matter if others believe you or not as long as YOU believe YOU. Horrible, simply horrible. Is there anything worse than a person fooling only themselves while believing they're fooling others. It's embarrassing.

So, with all that said I have one response to liars...."Be good, Be quiet, or Be honest." If you can't be good, be quiet. If you can't be quiet, be honest. And, if you can't be honest, God have mercy on your soul. Honesty is the best policy for yourself, others, and the world in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment