Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mogul


A light bulb has come on in my head. I have finally settled on what it is I want to do with the rest of my life. This is something I've been trying to figure out forever and a day. I have a history of switching lanes. While I was in college I changed my major three separate times and ended with a "no major." I can't really say that I've had a career, despite working for the last decade straight, because I've made jumps there as well.

I have come to the conclusion that the most successful people in the world put their head down and run straight ahead as hard and as fast as they can. What I mean by that is that they make up their minds, stay the path, and go for it. On the other hand, I think people that struggle tend to do what I've done....flip flop. Constantly changing course kills any chance for momentum, networking, the ability to build upon your knowledge base. If you flip flop you are always starting over from scratch. It produces frustration and much disappointment.

I'm trying to break that cycle by settling down so to speak and going for mine. I have a multitude of interest. I love writing, radio, speaking, teaching, counseling, mentoring, etc... I have been questioning which way I wanted to take my God given talents and gifts. Should I just focus on writing? Should I return to school to become a teacher? Should I go back to church and seek out a pastorship (that would encompass most of what I love)? Or, should I go for something I've never done on a full time basis before....radio?

Well, I've figured out that I don't have to choose just one. Instead I can pursue them all...though not at the same time. I have decided that I will become a media mogul. I am on a mission to build a media empire that will include books, websites, public speaking, radio broadcast, and maybe...just maybe, television. I'm not seeking to become a mogul out of a desire to achieve fame. I really don't have any use for fame. I'm pursuing this course of action out of a desire to make a difference for the good.

I believe I have been gifted with skills in communication. I want to put that to good use. I want to have an impact on society, here, now, and in the future. There is a serious war going on in our culture for the hearts and minds of the people. The outcome will have an impact on the world as we know and as it shall be. I want to join in on this contest and promote the ideas that are timeless and just. This is no easy task. Yet, I believe following my heart, using my skills, and doing what I am passionate about will have positive outcomes.

2 comments:

  1. Without mentorship putting your head down running as hard and as fast as you can may cause you a headache when you hit wall after wall. Remember you are the product of your very best thinking and why you are where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I reference putting my head down and running as hard as I can I'm making a reference to making a decision, sticking with it, and doing all I can to achieve the goal of the decision. I whole heartedly believe in mentoring. I have served as a mentor to some and have been mentored. It is a priceless gift from one person to another.

    ReplyDelete