Monday, January 17, 2011

THERE ARE ALWAYS RISK


We live in an age of guarantees. People love guarantees. I think this is the result of marketing and fear. I say marketing because on almost every product you buy from a bottle of water to the taste of a meal, you're satisfaction is guaranteed. I laugh at this because who is going to return a bottle of water? On the fear side, people want to know that they're not being to risky making a move or buying a product.

I can remember I vowed never to shop at Burlington coat factory because they had a horrible return policy. At one point in time you couldn't return your purchase for the cash you spent. Once that money was gone it was gone. I can remember being concerned about the validity of the roof on the home I was purchasing. The owner obtained an approval from a roofing company owned by one of his friends. I was very concerned because my inspector thought the roof needed work. My realtor told me that if the roof ended up needing work the entire sale of the home would be void. I had my guarantee and moved forward with the purchase.

People bring this same attitude to relationships. They want a guarantee. I have a friend that stated she wanted the "security" of marriage. In a perfect world marriage does provide security. However, the reality is that the sense of "security" one feels in a marriage is largely perception. Relationships are not contracts. There are legalities involved in some cases, but no guarantees. Biblically speaking, marriage is a covenant. But, the covenant is dependent on the character of the individuals involved.

Folks are afraid to let their hearts be free because of the inherent risk. They want that product guarantee that comes with love. No such thing exist. There will always be risk. Risk in relationships. Risk in marriage. Risk in life. Living is inherently risky because we do not control the factors. Hell, we don't even control ourselves. All of life is full of risk. There are risk when you drive. Risk when you eat. Risk when you accept a job that it won't be there when you leave the job you have. Risk are everywhere!!!

So, with that I say this; TAKE RISK! A life lived in fear and hiding is no life at all. You trade security for a lack of freedom. It's boring and unsatisfying. I'm not saying that you should go willy nilly and act foolishly. I am saying that you should take calculated risk and experience life. It's important to protect your heart. Yet, you don't want to lock it in a tower like Rapunzel. Live a little. Don't be afraid. Risk are a part of life. So take some and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment