Monday, January 17, 2011

MY HERO'S


I'm a firm believer in hero's. We all need them. We need them because we all need help and assistance in our lives. We need because we need guidance. We need a path that we can follow, at least in principle, to get us where we want to go. Hero's inspire us, drive us, lead us, teach us, guide us....and in some cases-SAVE US. With that in mind, I have compiled a list of my personal hero's. Here they are:


Jesus Christ-Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. His impact upon the world is unequaled by any man, movement, or force. His personal impact on my life may literally be the difference between life and death in the here and now. I know it is in the hereafter.

Billy Graham-Billy Graham is truly a great American hero. He is in so many ways the American Dream. Known to many as "America's Preacher," he has preached live and in person to more people throughout the world than any other man in history. He has brought true hope to many with the message of the Gospel. Visit his Library if you can in Charlotte, NC. It's a moving experience.

Grandma-This woman has raised me. She has been the most powerful moral shaping force in my life. She has always encouraged me to be courageous and stand on my own beliefs even when others didn't agree. I watched my grandmother visit my grandfather for the better part of a decade in a hospital of some kind day in and day out. She would go and sit with him. She always said she did it for him because she knew he would do it for her. Her example of love will never be forgotten.

Grandpa-This man was my true father. He raised me up as a man. He was both my teammate and opponent before I played organized sports. He was my mapquest before such a thing existed. He was Wikipedia before it was created. You could ask him most any question and he would give the bare bones practical answer. He was a non-chalent type of guy. Funny, irreverent, and caring, he laid the foundation for who I am as a man.

Tony Dungy-I love Tony Dungy. He's a man amongst men in so many different ways. Dungy is the first African-American NFL head coach to win a Super Bowl. He is also a mentor to many coaches and players throughout the league. He reached out Michael Vick upon his release from prison and has worked with him to reshape not only his image, but his very life. Tony Dungy is the author of two best selling books, Uncommon and Quiet Strength. He is a ministry leader and man of so much more than sports.

Mike Tomlin-Mike Tomlin is coach of my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers. He is a product of the Tony Dungy coaching tree and a Super Bowl winner. Tomlin became the head coach of the Steelers at the age of 34. He is the youngest coach in history to win a Super Bowl. He has set a new standard for young coaches throughout the league. He's not only a coach but a family man. He has been heavily involved in ministries that seek to help father's connect with their children. He's a highly entertaining interview. Check him out if you're not familiar.

A.C. Green-played in the NBA for 15 years. During that time he set a record of playing in 1,192 straight games. Many believe this record will never be broken. What is more impressive and why I list him as a hero is that his greatest claim to fame is that he practiced abstinence and had never had sex. This includes his years as an NBA star. Keep in mind he started his career in Los Angeles. He's the man, plain and simple.

Jay Z-This guy is a rap genius. His lyrics are profound. I enjoy his music because there is a maturity that can be followed throughout his career. He grew, and with him so did his music. Not just a rapper, not just a performer, not just a business man, but truly a deep thinker. His impact on music and culture will be around for quite some time. Check out his book Decoded. It's a great read.

Ken Blackwell-Blackwell is a prominent African-American republican. He was mayor of Cincinnati, OH at age 28 and had never lost a political campaign until he ran for governor. Said to be worth over a quarter billion dollars, he's not only a politician but a business man.

Frederick Douglas-Quite simply one of the greatest Americans in our nations history. Perhaps, the greatest African-American to ever live. His accomplishments are lengthy. His triumphs unbelievable. He was a former slave that taught himself to read, founded a newspaper, petitioned President Lincoln to allow black to fight in the Civil War, enlisted in the army and personally recruited 250k blacks to serve, and would go on to hold multiple leadership positions in President Lincoln's administration. I often think on his life for motivation.

MLK-An American revolutionary. He is responsible for making the story of segregation clear in America. It was MLK that told protesters not to retaliate when attacked by the police and others so that America could see that Blacks were not aggressive, but victims of a vile hatred. His ability to inspire people to march knowing of the coming consequences for the greater good has not been equaled.

Mom-My mother has a servants heart. She has sacrificed so much for others I encourage her to scale back to take care of herself. She's not perfect but her heart is huge. I don't know if I've seen anyone give as much of themselves as she has.

These are just some of the folks I look to for inspiration. I have many hero's. I advise you to identify some of yours. We all need em'.

No comments:

Post a Comment