Saturday, January 8, 2011

PEOPLE YOU LIKE


About a month ago I was sitting in the park watching my children play on the various attractions available. The park was full with all types of kids as it was a rare spring like day in November. While I was sitting an older gentleman joined me on the park bench. He was there with his wife and granddaughter. We began to talk about children and life in general. During our conversation he shared something with me that I shall never forget.

We were discussing how we can't control the outcomes of our parenting efforts. Despite our greatest efforts people are free moral agents and will act accordingly. The very thought of raising an uncontrollable child is discouraging as a parent. Yet, it is the trade off with the blessing of life and being entrusted with children. Nevertheless, we press on.

The elderly man shared his conclusion on child rearing with me. He stated that although we can't control their actions or the outcome the overall goal should be to raise our children to be "people we like." It's so simple and yet so profound. It would be a shame to raise a person to be an ass whole or deviant. Right now I like my kids personalities. They're not perfect but they are loving and protective and inclusive for the most part. I like that. I have high hopes, but if they maintain these things I'll be pleased.

1 comment: