Saturday, September 17, 2011

Work, No longer an Enjoyable Place


Nearly one year ago I was thankful and overjoyed to have my new job. It was an escape from the foolishness of my previous government agency. My supervisor was kind, considerate, and wise. The job was laid back, relaxed, and educational. Opportunity seemed present and available. Now, I find myself in a much different place.

Yesterday, I was irritated...a low level of pissed off throughout much of my day. I couldn't put my finger on it I just knew I was pissed. There are a number of factor at hand with all this. One, is that the same people telling to do my job put road blocks in my way, then remove them when it's too late, causing another new roadblock of opportunity to arise. This pisses me a great deal as they first disagree or argue with me, only to come back to my original plan when the opportunity to enact it has passed. I hate that.

Along with road blocks, there is the passing of the buck that goes on that further impedes my ability to do my job. Documents only doctors can sign for (I'd be more than happy to fill them out, but what doctor is going to sign his name to a ten page form that he didn't fill out?). Pissing contest between doctors that result in a lack of quality care for the patient. Foolish pissing contest between patients and doctors. This one is of particular frustration as I am stuck with an annoying personality disorder laden individual that should have been discharged years ago but instead some dumb as doctor let his ego get in the way. Now this guy is my problem. Then add to all that, the solving of a problem only to have a "team" member open his mouth and bring to the forefront a non-issue that now must be dealt with. I'm pissed!

Then there is the willy-nilly promotion and appointment of people to higher ranks. My boss recently went on vacation. While she was gone she placed an individual in charge of our department that does not do the work of 98% of the department. In fact, this individuals original department was "banished" and she was absorbed into my department. Somehow, her brown nosing (which she spends much of her time doing as oppose to her job) landed her designated supervisor for four days. This pissed the whole department off. Consequently, no one asked her for assistance as she really wasn't a person respected from the beginning. To make things worse, those that had been expected to succeed my old supervisor are still available to stand in. Maybe, that's why they weren't chosen. Worker B-likeness seems to be valued as opposed to bringing real value and insight to a position.

To piggy back on that, there is an obvious inside network that is underground but results in people getting promoted where no one would have ever thought. There's a woman that went from being a low level, no skills needed, worker to the director of a department nearly overnight. A couple of months of schooling and bam, she was in. There's another guy at work that went from part time employee, to laid off, to shirt tie status in a position especially created for him. Another woman, whose job it was to set up video cameras/conference equipment is now the HEALTH ADMINISTRATOR. Her appointment to this position came with an outline of her qualifications. None of it matched her title.

Along with the mishaps in leadership appointment, there is the ever present corruption of employees (both higher ups and low level). Staff having sex with each other on the clock. Staff having sex with the patients, on the clock. The smuggling of contraband. This isn't just the breaking of the hospital rules but state law. Yet, when I've reported this information with strong evidence nothing...and I mean absolutely nothing was done. Hence, I'm wrong for reporting it and I'd be wrong if I didn't. I've been in this situation before. It never works out for those trying to do right.

As a result of all this mess my career has become my job. I'm neither thrilled nor excited about going to work. Instead, I look to make it through the day without having fingers point my way. It's a CYA (COVER YOUR ASS) environment. You can't progress or advance in such environments. There is a leadership void in such cases. You can do little of substance when all people are concerned with is covering their own ass and maintaining the status quo. I'm hoping to one day break free of this exchange of time for money, bullshit for comfort, minutia for pay...I need to do something that matters, something that makes a difference. I need to live a life with purpose. This is simply an existence....a paycheck...no longer an enjoyable place.

No comments:

Post a Comment