Wednesday, December 1, 2010

RAW EMOTION


I know I've mentioned my respect and appreciation for the work of 2Pac. I love his lyrical wizardry. He was an MC that was both substantive and entertaining. Pac had the good fortune of tight beats and good publicist. No doubt, he's one of the greatest rappers of all time. I used to think that Pac was confused. He would make songs like "Brenda's Got a Baby," a conscious song about teenage pregnancy, abuse, and neglect. Then he turns around and makes song like, "Thug Life," a song promoting criminal behavior. I've come to change my mind a bit.

Pac may have in fact been as real as one can get. His mixed group of songs was a lyrical representation of the reality each and everyone of us experience daily. His songs showed all sides of the human Psyche, struggle, doubts, triumphs, desires, hopes, and dreams. He was no more confused than anyone of us. Not only did he reflect this lyrically but he did so vocally. There was no doubt that Pac was feeling his work as you hear him strain with rage and anger. He was raw emotion.

I can relate to Pac now. My writings are thoughts and emotions captured in print of my current mood and mindset. I spill my hopes and dreams, pains and struggles, beliefs and doubts, right here on this blog. A distant viewer might think I'm confused. And, to be honest, sometimes I am. But more than confused I'm real. I have ups and downs. Highs and lows. Good days and bad days alike. You get a peek at my heart every time I write. I'm not crazy. I'm human.

It is rare that people ever get to see the raw emotion I possess. It is often shown in those rare times of anger and frustration. It can be explosive. Some people are scared by it because it's so out of character for me. At times, I scare myself. This isn't something that happens often but when it does it's bad. I also have to pull in my raw comedic emotion at times as I have been known to go to far.

If you take time to go through my earlier writings you will see that there is an explosion of anger and cynicism on the front end. I was just putting what I felt out there. As time has gone on things have improved...a little...and my writings are slightly more balanced. This is real. This is life. This is me. Certainly, I haven't spilled everything on this blog. Some things have to be held close to the vest. Not that I'm ashamed of my thoughts, but I don't know that folks are ready for full blown me.

Writing is my outlet. It's where I can bounce my thoughts off the cyber wall and see what I have. It's where I can yell and scream without consequence. This is where I can be confused, encouraged, angry, irreverent, and outright ignorant if I so desire. This is my place of raw emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment