Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Turning Cake Into Beef

Hamburger Cake

The other day I was having an on-line conversation with a life time friend. I've known this girl since before I can remember. We went to school most of our early childhood, lived around the corner from each other, and went to prom together. In short, we're friends. Well, at least we were until recently.

As I was saying we were chatting online the other day. My friend said she was going to bake a cake. Being a lover of bake goods and cake in particular I asked for her to send me a one. She replied that she would send me a picture. I told her thanks for nothing. At this point, her husband jumped into the discussion and said I had to get my own. I took it lightly and continued to joke with him.

Later on, building off of the earlier exchange I asked my friend why her husband was "cake blocking?" She thought is was funny as did I and stated because her husband doesn't like to share her goodies. We had a laugh and that was that. Or, so I thought.

I would later be informed that my joke caused serious offense to her husband. He stated that he thought is was inappropriate under any circumstances no matter how close we were as friends. I was cool and said that I was sorry for any offense and that I would lay low. My friend responded by saying that she knew I would be cool. The next day we were no longer friends. I was cut lose just like that.

Now, I'm no fool. I don't think our Internet chats are something that should be an issue in her marriage or anyone else' for that matter. I mean its not that serious. However, I am bothered that someone would think that I was trying to push up on their wife. I would never do such a thing. I'm kind of honored by it in a sense that he saw me as a threat. Still, my character felt assaulted and so I was bothered.

I'm a bit dumbfounded how an innocent joke about cake turned into beef. I think I know the answer. When I was a kid my best friend told me to never cheat. He said that his own cheating ways had caused him to become paranoid. He started to question everyday behaviors by his girlfriend because he saw his own actions in the works. I think this might be the cause of the overreaction and beef.

In any event, I will press on. I'm a good guy. I know it. I meant no harm. It's just unfortunate that people have to go through bull because of the behavior of others. Every move we make has an impact not only on ourselves but on others. Sometimes those are good. Sometimes, they are bad. It all depends. Life is no piece of cake, but you will have beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment