Friday, September 3, 2010

DREAM ON


Do you remember the show Dream On? It was a great show about a guy that was raised in front of a television. He often had flashbacks to the old shows he would watch as a child as he faced life's situations. Oddly enough, my mind kind of works like that.

Sometimes people think I'm crazy because I can quote movies almost at will and I always compare people to TV characters. It is a weird, kind of nerdy behavior. I can't deny that. What I can deny is that I'm some type of social misfit. I'm a nerd, but not a misfit.

Sometimes I wonder if I am simply misunderstood. I have a penchant for direct communication. I can be brutally honest at times. And, as an occupational hazard I am probably more comfortable discussing sexual activities than the average person (My job entails that I talk and write about sex most of my days). Consequently, I can say things that are offensive, shocking, or intruding. Some people find it refreshing and witty. Others think I'm out of my mind and suffer from a mental health condition. The kids I work with say I "keep it 100."

In a lot of ways my mind works like the main character from Dream On, Martin Tupper. Every situation or thought bounces off all of my life's experience and viewing. I connect strange dots and it comes out of my mouth. I have to explain how I got to where the conversation is because people look at me in a strange fashion. I think of it as a personality quirk.

I am leaning a little toward some level of awkwardness. After all, I seem to lack the basic skills of game needed to bed chicks that get down at hello. Men who seem to have exerted so little effort and so little care seem to get the prize with their little efforts. Meanwhile, I seem to get worked for free meals and slight handy man services. I hope one day I will be understood. Maybe, one day I'll be like most other then. Of course, the way things are going I'll probably continue to dream on.

No comments:

Post a Comment