Wednesday, September 29, 2010

GETTING STRONG NOW




I just so happened to be watching Rocky tonight before I wrote this post. The Rocky movie franchise is famous for the Song, "Getting Strong NOW." It's quite motivational in it's composure and lyrical content. I dare you to hear the horns kick in followed by the chorus and not get pumped, if not but for a moment.

Strength is needed in all areas of life. You need to be strong physically, financially, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, socially, etc... Most of the time we view strength by show of incredible power (i.e. the utter destruction of one entity by another). This isn't always the case. Sometimes, strength is derived from the recovery from destruction.

I started lifting weights because after breaking my hand (knuckles, hand, and wrist) I was incredibly weak. I had no strengh, no range of motion, and no stamina (a reflection of my life). When they removed the cast my hand looked like it had been mummified. It was wilted, dry, and discolored. I would come to find how weak my hand was when I tried to break up a fight and couldn't hold one of the aggressors back.

In any event, I have come to find that through my exercise regiment to regain strength I have grown stronger than ever before. I am lifting more weight than ever in all aspects and I haven't even gotten to a max weight level yet. I am gaining strength and endurance in all muscle areas. I have turned a weakness into a strength far beyond that of my previous pre-injury state.

It is my hope that as I seek to put the pieces of my life together that I will find a strength far greater than what my life possessed pre-brokenness. I believe when all is said and done I will find myself emotionally, spiritually, physically, intellectually, and even financially stronger. It is interesting that the moment of greatest muscle growth comes when the muscle feels fatigued and weak. Might this be the path of gaining strength in all of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment