Sunday, September 26, 2010

JUST CAUSE YOU'RE SINGLE DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE ALONE


We live in an age of smoke and mirrors. People show you one person when you meet them and another when you get to know them. Folks go to interviews and have all the right answers only to show you that they really don't want to work after they've gotten the job. Politicians, products, and movies promise you one thing and provide you with something much less. The relationship game is no different.

I can't tell you how many men and women I've come across claiming to be single only to find out that they are not single in the truest sense. Some have an F-Buddy. Some have a man or woman. Even worst, some are engaged. That is just dishonest. You might say, "But hey, you say you're single when you are legally married."

That statement is true. The difference is that I put all the cards on the table. I tell folks what the deal is from the jump. I have nothing to hide cause I'm not playing games. I have no interest in malice. No desire to mislead. That makes all the difference in the world. To be clear, I don't introduce myself that way. However, I do make my situation and intentions crystal clear.

I think about how this plays out all the time. If I meet a woman that I'm interested in there is a good chance she's doing some guy(s) on the side just for kicks. God help me. That ain't cool. When does a woman decide to clear the path for a sincere man in pursuit? And, men don't move on so easily. We tend to have a sense of ownership if we're getting the booty. This is a set up for mess and the destruction of what may be a promising relationship.

On the flip side, men won't let go of their booty calls so easily. And, neither will the "booty call." Women may say that they are cool with just getting down but nine times out of ten they're hearts are going to get caught up. And, why shouldn't it. It's a painful thought to be treated good enough for a sexual fix, but not good enough for commitment. Damn, that hurts.

This will be the last thing I say on this issue right now. Wouldn't you feel betrayed if you found out the person you were dating had multiple sex partners on the side? Wouldn't that give you pause? Does that speak stability or is it a sign of things to come? Make it easy on yourself. If you're single then be single. If you're not then be honest. Enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment