Thursday, September 2, 2010

Houston...We Have a Problem

While having dinner with a friend tonight I was informed that I am socially awkward, if not outright offensive. They didn't say those words exactly. What they did say was funny and yet disturbing all in one swoop. It was something I've been wondering about for a while now but didn't want to believe.

My current job entails me working closely with kids that are socially awkward, outcast, and some mentally ill. I've wondered for a long time if the reason I get along so well with them is because I am truly one of them? I haven't committed any haneous crimes and I don't quite say the things they say. But, I am slightly off in a comical way.

This evening my friend asked a question that confirmed the worst. She said, "Do you have Aspergers?" I thought to myself "Oh shit! That's the problem.!" I don't have Aspergers. What I think I do suffer from is being socially awkward. That would explain a lot of things.

My biggest concern is that my social awkwardness is the product of my personality. Personalities aren't easily changed. They are ingrained and in some respects beyond our control. We were born and nurtured that way. I grew up with elderly folks. They don't have time for bullshit so they say what they damn well please. Some of that is in me. I don't know if I can overcome this ailment but we shall see.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry! I'm not gonna live this down for awhile. You are off in a comical way. Some people just have eccentricities that is part of their personality and that makes them unique. Be you, just the way we all know and like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...now that we've got that "pink elephant" addressed...(smile).

    ReplyDelete