Sunday, October 3, 2010

THE LIFE LESSONS OF BEER


I am a beer fan. This is not some, "I drink beer to get drunk and cause it's cheap", type of thing. I am truly a beer lover. In many ways beer is like wine. It varies in flavor, color, and creation. It can be used to compliment a meal (Certain beers are fantastic with beef). It's versatile. I'm such a fan I'm about to learn how to brew my own. I'm definitely making a trip to the local brewery for a tour. I love beer.

As a beer lover I'm open to trying all kinds. I'm always in search of a new hops and barley experience. I've tried the lights, the foreign, the canned, the glass, the tap, the blueberry (yes, that was a mistake), and many more. I once tried Guinness Extra Stout. It was too thick for me, too potent. I thought it was absolutely disgusting. I asked, "who would drink this stuff?"

As life would have it I happen to have a couple of Guinness' sitting in my fridge. I did not want to drink them but I wanted a beer and didn't feel like going to buy any. So while holding my nose, I opened the bottle and took a sip. To my surprise it was no longer repulsive. It was quite satisfying. I drank it all and enjoyed every drop of it. Who knew that at the bottom of the bottle would be a life lesson?

What I have come to find is that you can't drink all beers the same way. I like light beer, white beers, and domestic brews. I have typically not been a fan of more potent beers because you have to take them a little slower. Well, I figured out that I was trying to take Guinness too fast. It is not meant to be guzzled, but to be sipped and savored. The results were significantly better.

The same is true in relationships. Sure, as a man with needs and desires I would love to cut straight to the chase and get busy. Downing women (like beer) with the quickness...saying on to the next one. To be sure, there is pleasure in that experience. However, if you slow down and take in all that a woman has to offer then you may find the experience to be much more satisfying (like my Guinness).

You may have been bitter on quick hit and quit relationships. That's probably because they weren't meant for that type of activity. People are full bodied, heavy, and potent with substance and personality. They can't be ingested quickly. No, no...they must be sipped and savored. Taken in slowly so you can enjoy every bit of it. Take a lesson from the beer, slow down and you find it quite satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment