Saturday, May 21, 2011

5 AM

Over the past two weeks I've begun going to the gym at 5am. I thought this would be a gruelling and painful experience that would only happen once. I've found that it's not anything like that. I actually prefer the 5am workout to my afternoon workouts.

There's a certain peace that you experience at 5am in the morning. There's only a handful of folks at the gym during that time of the day. Everybody is about the business of working out. No chatter, no standing around and stairing at each other, no sitting on a machine I want to use forever, and no competition for equipment. Folks who workout at that time of day are about their business.

This group tends to be older than the afternoon folks. I kind of expected that, as I figured the most disciplined of people would be out at that time. The 5am workout lacks the scenic pleasures of "Fem-Bots" or the reminder of age found in "Thunder cats." I'm cool with that. It helps me to focus on the task at hand-Getting in Shape.

Another benefit of the 5am workout is that I forget I've gone. Shortly after arriving at work I find that I don't even remember going to the gym. That's a plus because it shows that I'm not killing my energy for the rest of the day. In fact, I'm more energized throughout the day. The 5am workout allows me to get in my workout and hang out with friends in the evening. It's a Win-Win.

Research shows that working out first thing in the morning is the most beneficial time to your body. I believe that's true because experts say so. I find it to be quite convenient. I suggest that if you're looking to get back in shape or if you already workout that you start going in the morning. Push yourself. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment