Sunday, May 1, 2011

LIVING A BETTER STORY


I recently finished reading a book by author Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. It's a great read. It's comical, reflective, challenging, and spiritual. Miller is a masterful writer. The theme of the book is about story and how it applies to life. Story in this case is in the context of movies or script writing. The question is asked, "what makes a great movie?" The answer is a great story. This is the journey the book takes you on as you learn both about story/movies and life.

The challenge is issued to live a better story. Such things as risk, goals, life threatening activity, and substance make all the difference in a good story. I've dreamt of living a fascinating and meaningful life since I was a child. I have always wanted to make a difference in the world and leave a legacy. Living a better life continues to be one of my goals. I think that's why this book resonated so deeply in my soul. It was speaking my heart back to me through the pages of another.

The past three weeks or so have proven to be a great beginning to living a better life. I have been a part of American history. I've touched an World Wide Icon, live and in the flesh. I had two of the most power packed days in my entire life. To do this I had to overcome a major fear. One that has caused panic attacks. I was able to do so with minor discomfort. Living a better life requires that we overcome our fears, help others, and do something that matters.

I'm hopeful that this isn't the last of my adventures. I can't guarantee that I can top or even match my most recent experience. I can make a concerted effort to pursue things that matter. Things that matter to me, my friends, my family, and the human race in general. In this story, I will take risk, chase women, have my heart broken, obtain the prize of love, create memories, and help others. I'm not certain where my script will take me at this moment. I'm still working on that. I do know that planning and production are underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment