Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy People



There are many people around me that are utterly unhappy with life. Many have legitimate issues of unhappiness. Some are ill. Some are poor. Some are lonely. Some are disgusted by their work. Some are heartbroken. And some...some just are. I'm not writing this to be critical of those folks. After all, it takes one to know one. I've had my bouts of unhappiness. I know the pain, the struggle, the frustration.

Yet, I'd like to think I've turned a corner with all that. Don't hear me wrong. I have down moments and even down days. That's normal for all people. What is not considered normal, yet it's common, is being down for long stretches at a time. This is called depression. It's tough to live in and with depression if it's unchecked. I speak from experience. It's a bitter existence of darkness. The good thing about depression is that it is highly treatable.

According to statistics Depression and Anxiety make up the largest grouping of mental health cases in our nation. It's at approximately 15%. I tend to believe it's higher than that. Since it is so prevalent there has been a lot of research put into salving this problem. You can approach it with psychotropic medications or with psychological treatment (Typically CBT-Cognitive Behavioral Treatment). Positive outcomes are in the 80 percentile range. Pretty good. I tend to hold that folks should go at it from both perspectives.

Some want a magic pill to make it all better. And, for some that happens. Others are opposed to medication and simply want therapy. That is also successful for some. Yet and still, some need both. Medication and treatment alone have their limits. Together, they're a powerful combination. I ask the question, "Why stay sad if you don't have to?"

I simply wouldn't. When I realized I was depressed I went right to the doctor and got meds. I also set up therapy sessions. I have no shame about my mental health and my needs. Opinions be damned, I needed help. Nothing was going to stop me. And nothing should stop you either. If you're one of the people struggling with this please, please, PLEASE! Do something about it.

It's a daunting task because of your mental health state. During a time of no motivation you need to be motivated to get the ball rolling and stick with it. It's tough, but no more tough than living in a depressed state forever. Some people have formed a damaging relationship with their pain. They say they want freedom but do nothing about it. Some folks like to complain. It has become something of a defining characteristic for them. This is a trap.

These folks fear what life will be like without their pain. They have come to live with the emotional pain for so long anything that threatens that existence is put to death almost immediately. This is frustrating for loved ones that care for the individual and want them free of depression. There are few things more painful than to see someone trapped in their own prison. No one, and I mean NO ONE can break them free apart from themselves. Don't be one of these people. Stop being one of these people.

The power is in your hands. Many of the depressed have perception issues. They don't see things as they are because they have blue colored shades on that make everything gloomy. It's time for a reality check. Stop hurting yourself. Stop hurting those around you. As it was said in Shawshank Redemption; "Either get to living or get to dying." I pray you get to living. Why not be Happy People?

No comments:

Post a Comment