Friday, May 27, 2011

Something I'm good at...

As I mentioned earlier, I recently had an opportunity to speak at a Toast Master's event. It was the first Toast Master's even I've ever had the privilege of attending or participating in. I had a great time. Not only did I enjoy the meeting and the presentations, I enjoyed the part where I was able to speak to the group.

I've never been shy about public speaking. It comes quite naturally to me. In fact, it energizes me. Those that have known me well say that I come to life when I speak to a group. I'm a big fan of ideas, theories, philosophy, and words, so I love sharing concepts in a public forum.

My skill as a speaker has been confirmed throughout my life. I regularly get raving reviews when I speak in public. I've even received raving reviews during some of the less than desirable situations. When my grandfather passed away I spoke at his funeral about what he meant to me and to others. People said they laughed, they cried, they remembered, and were comforted by my words. One person said that it was the only time he'd seen a prominent member of my family outdone. Knowing this family member and his reputation well I was quite honored by that comment. More than anything, I was honored that I honored my grandfather.

I was once the speaker at a fundraising event. Prior to the event, I was seated next to a lovely couple. We discussed a great many things pertinent to the fundraiser at hand. Days later, I was informed that this man and his wife were the largest donors and said they did so based upon my presentation of the organization. Once again, I was pleased.

What can I say? I'm a good speaker. I'd like to do much more of it. I'd like to get paid for it. I'd like it to be a large portion of my career. Problem is, I haven't figured out how to make that happen yet. It's long been my hope that if I ever can complete one of the 12 books I've titled and outlined I would find an outlet for public speaking. But that depends on my discipline as a writer and the receptivity of the audience I'm writing too. Well, at least I know one thing I'm good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment