Sunday, May 22, 2011

Falling Apart

This weekend has brought an onslaught of home disasters. As I was doing laundry today I noticed a trail of water running from my water tank to the drain. I may have seen this before but usually it's gone rather quickly. This had a different, more serious look. While adjusting my shades I pulled two of them right off the window. While cleaning out my car I unplugged my vacuum and took the socket cover with it. Just moments ago the smoke detector started beeping for a new battery.

This mirrors life in many respects. You don't always see these things coming. More importantly, you're not always prepared to take care of these issues when they come. My pockets are on "E" right now. The amount of travel I do in my don't need it anymore minivan is killing the pockets. $50 only puts me at half a tank. While energy and food prices rise my income remains static. That's a bad recipe for tying those ends together. I've got to much month at the end of these checks.

Yet, I press on with a will not to be stifled. You can only do what you can do, and that's all you can do. So, I make the best of a bad situation. I have little to no entertainment fund beyond my meager expenditures. I recently discontinued cable and a home telephone. I haven't been on a date in weeks. I don't go out and kick it. And besides an unplanned but very important trip out of town, I don't leave my city. Truth be told, my entertainment fund is approximately $50 a month. That's Internet, netflix, and gym cost all together.

What a glorious and thrilling life. I search the net. I hit the gym. And, I watch movies endlessly. Unlike Kanye, I don't have the power to make your life so exciting. Heck, I don't have the power to make my life exciting. Nevertheless, things could be worse...a whole lot worse. For now I make due. I'm putting out apps for part time work. I'm eating at home (that includes everything in the freezer). And I limit extra travel. Somethings got to give sometime soon. Speeches from the Prez and other so called leaders won't cut it. Much like my house, the nation is falling apart. Hey, at least I have company (unwanted as it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment