Sunday, May 22, 2011

I've got Enough Friends

A friend of mine from college used to often tell the story of how he and his wife came to be. He had met her while at a conference. Being so bold, he approached her and obtained her phone number. He says that when he called her he asked her out and she rejected him stating, "She just wanted to be friends."

The "Just friends" statement is a killer for any man seeking out a relationship with a woman. Most men can't overcome it. However, my friend did. It is held among those in my circle as one of the greatest comebacks in relationship history. My friend told his would-be bride, "I've got enough friends. I don't need another friend." That statement made all the difference.

You see, my friend was on a mission. He was man looking for love. Looking for a wife. If this woman only had intentions of being a "friend" then she was a waste of his time. He went to explain this to her. As legend had it, she was receptive and from there they began their love story. What might be most odd about this is that if you knew my friend he does not come across as a suave and deboner man with skills to woo the ladies. He's a normal guy. Normal looks. Normal body. Normal money.

As I am now a man back on the market I too am encountering women that say they only want to be friends. Lacking the backbone and somehow thinking I can win them over I settle for such friendships. Well, I've decided no more. Friendship with a woman that a man is interested in is a painfully frustrating experience. He tries to mask his feelings and play it cool but he can't. He becomes jealous and can't understand why he can make no headway.

I myself, am fead up with the frustration. Either you're in or you're out. Plain and simple. This is all part of going off the grid. Why waste time and effort with women that only want to be friends? Of what benefit is that to me. I've got plenty of male friends and a handful of female friends that I am satisfied with. I have little need for any more (female friends that is).

I'm not expecting to turn the tide as my friend did with his future bride. I am looking to focus my efforts and lessen my frustration by eliminating "friendly" distractions. This may seem strange to some but I think it's a neccessary move. I'll still have female friends. They'll just be friends from the start to finish, no romantic interest. Life will be easier that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment