Friday, August 13, 2010

Chocolate Love

As a young man I was crazy in love with light skinned/caramel colored sistas. From time to time the occasional white girl would turn my head as well. Coming up in the hood it wasn't a good thing to be dark skinned. We had niggas like Al B. Sure, El Debarge, and LL Cool J to look up to. Women went crazy for these niggas. Of course there was the occasional midnight black brotha that got some play (say Big Daddy Kane or Kwame) but that was far and few between. The fine sista's of the day were light skinned like Pebbles, Vanity, and En Vogue. All of them were fair in complexion.

As such, it was rare that a dark chocolate sister caught my eye. I had figured that when I got older I would find that perfect caramel sister. She would be short, thick, with smooth skin and style. I used to dream about her all the time. Consequently, I held women to this mental image. My dream woman didn't hold me back from loving the darker berries, but they weren't my focus.

As I progressed through high school I came in contact with some fine ass dark skinned sisters. And, as fine as they were they just weren't my forte. When I got to college I came across even finer sista's, close to the motherland. And still I did not pursue them. Well, that has all changed.

Lately, I've been going bananas for the Dark Chocolate Sista's. I love the skin tone. I love the smooth dark complexion. It's down right sexy and appealing. I have a new found appreciation for the sweet CHOCOLATE skin tone of my native land sistas. Damn, they fine.

I'm not taking anyone off the table. But, I have sharpened my view on the sweat berry sistas. I'm going to live life and let things come as they may. If she's White, Latin, Black, or Asian I'll be thankful. However, a brotha wouldn't mind some DARK CHOCOLATE LOVE.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Motherland.

    Funny how you should mention the color thing. Did you attach a value (they're more polished, stable, etc.) at that young age or did you just find them physically attractive?

    I found that I have always been attracted to the darker brothers because I thought the actual color of their skin was magnificent. I thought (and still do) that they have a certain kind of swagger that lighter skinned brothers, with an exception or two, don't have. And when I was attracted to the lighter skinned brothers, they were the likes of Heavy D or someone like that, not the typical pretty boy, but still...the swag. My tastes haven't changed needless to say I think I might be color struck. I think I place a value or authenticity on darker skinned people including Europeans, etc.

    Very well written.

    ReplyDelete