Saturday, August 21, 2010

OFFICE LOVE

Office love is a topic that has been on my mind for a long time. Everywhere I've worked my co-workers have been involved with each other during off hours in some way or form. When I was at the Turnpike there was one woman in particular that had a serious rep. She even admitted her promiscuity to me while working together one day. Her declaration went something like this, "...I promised God I wasn't gonna mess with married men no more!" It was like word vomit as we weren't on the subject of relationships or God at the time..

The stories at Walgreens were absolutely ridiculous. There was the married man with four kids that was doing his assistant manager. There was a pharmacy manager that decided to show his package to his staff while drinking at a bar. There was the cosmatic lady that propositioned a newly turned 18 year old with a naked picture of her husband (SWINGERS). She had hoped to entice the young girl with her husband's Italian (read Hanible/Black) dick.

Don't let me forget the manager that was doing his photo tech on top of the freezer in the stock room during "breaks." There was also a manager that decided to trade meerchandise for sex with two different women. And, there were any number of hook ups before, during, and after my tenure there that I won't speak on right now.

My current place of employment is among the worst I've seen. As one co-worker put it, "This place is one big orgy!" It's crazy. Everybody is sleeping with everybody. Married, single, engaged, dating, whatever.....They're gettin' it in. It's so bad that people just assume that you're hitting it if you go to lunch with someone.

Don't get me wrong. There are some legitimate relationships that are formed in the work place and blossom into something beautiful. These are common. Walgreens used to put out a yearly feature on the subject. Unfortunately, I can't say that's the case on a large scale now. People are down for whatever these days. A friend of mine, who works in sales, said that their annual conferences are just one big orgy. He stated that within minutes of arriving at the hotel folks are at it like rabbits, marriage be damned.

When I think on office love I lean on the edge of it being a bad idea. There are so many things that can go terribly wrong. There is the possibility of a bad break up. Never good for the office atmosphere. There is the possiblity of unplanned pregnancy. Always a good look for the unmarried woman. There is the chance of hit it, quit it, and pass it around. I know, you may not believe this happens but it does. As Nate Dogg said, "It ain't no fun if the homies can't have none." There is just the ongoing drama that relationships can bring amplified by the fact that you don't even get a break while at work. It can be crazy.

On the other hand, the workplace is where people spend most of their time. It is natural that love interest would develop and grow. It could be all good. There could be a long lasting relationship. There could even be marriage. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find many of the women I've worked with attractive and even interesting on an intellectual, emotional, and spiritual level. It could work. In the end all I'm saying is be careful. It's a war zone out there. Office Love has a lot of upside and downside. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment